Friday, December 31, 2010

Final Thoughts on 2010: Part IV -- Letting Go

2011 is only a few hours away now.  As I sit here writing this note-- my final one for 2010-- my mind is racing. 

As in times past, I have said good-bye --and in some instances good riddance-- to many people.     It's to be expected.  All a Part of our  life's journey.   2010 is no exception.  But unlike years past, the people I let go in 2010 -- I don't miss. 

Could be I've just grown tired of them running in and out of my life willy nilly.  Could be that I just out grown their foolishness and childishness.  And it could be that I didn't like them to begin with and it finally dawned on me to kick their sorry asses to the curb and leave them there!.  Could be a combination of all the above.  hmmmm... could be!

I will give them all kudos for bringing into my life --clarity and perspective.  And I am truly grateful for that.  However, it is interesting to experience this sensation of not missing anyone.  I don't feel it very often, and when I do ... I like to enjoy it!

It is quite amusing though ... how each of us will drag the same tired annoying people back into our lives time and time and time again ... only to have to kick them back out on the curb over and over ... and over again.   

Stubborn and hard headed bunch ... aren't we? 

But 2010 stepped in and pretty much gave us an ultimatum ... let them go now or you'll find yourself stuck with them until death do you part!  oy!  If that doesn't send shivers up and down your spines -- don't know what will!   Or maybe that was just me?   

Most of the people I let go -- are the ones I had let go in years past.  And for whatever reason, I invited them back in only to have to show them the "door" once again.   Sitting here, I remember hearing this little voice say to myself -- "they'll be back!"   In 2010 ... I didn't hear that voice.    What a relief!

But I will admit ... there is a part of me that is scared to death of letting go.   Not that I have a choice!  Letting go is something I find myself doing  all the damn time!  Whether or not I want to -- whether or not I like it!  Besides ... I've seen what The Universe can do if I hold on for too long.  Yikes! 

It all feels so different this time around though.  yea, I'm still a little jittery about the whole letting go process.  But --at the same time -- I'm a little excited! 

Many years ago, I wrote an article about letting go.  (the link to that note can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=649552801&notes_tab=app_2347471856#!/note.php?note_id=346121348855)

In the past few days, I have found myself going back to read and re-read it.    I guess I just needed that little extra boost to get me moving -- that little reminder if you will -- to help me make that final leap forward!  I mean, it's not like I'm going to let go without a fight -- right?  *LOL*

This year though, the need -- the urge -- to fight to keep the old crap is not there anymore.  In the last six months alone... I have cleaned out every closet and cabinet --thrown out several truck loads of stuff that I don't need, forgot I had or just don't want any more.    It felt good!  It felt so much cleaner and lighter -- on every level!   I had forgotten what it felt like to have less stuff laying around.  I had forgotten what it was like to open my closet and not get a concussion!  *ROFL*  Feels damn good -- that's for sure!  Well ... mentally & emotionally it felt great.  My body, on the other had ... not so much!!   oy vey!  After all that cleaning and clearing ... I was hurting in places I didn't even know existed!  But still ... I felt so happy!  And cleaner! 

The people I removed from my life -- gave me the same feelings.  Yea -- got that same sensation of it hurting in places I didn't know was there.  But at the same time ... I felt great, I felt relieved ... I felt lighter -- cleaner -- Happier!  Relieved even! 

Saying good-bye is never easy.  No one said it would be.  Some times it hurts like a bitch!  But in the end, we are happier, healthier and cleaner for it. 

The paths we set out for ourselves are not the easiest to travel.  But as much as we moan, groan and bitch about it being so hard --in secret, way deep down inside -- we wouldn't have it any other way!  Because we know on a soul level -- if it were easy -- there would be no point in trying!  All the "fun" in doing it would be gone.  And most importantly, we wouldn't have anything to bitch about -- and where would the fun in THAT be?  Seriously!!!!???  *LOLOLOL*

All kidding aside ... we have faced our fears, we have learned from them, grown from them and have become better and stronger for it.  We have learned what not to do and how not to be!  So in the end my friends ... it was all worth it!  Wouldn't you agree?  

The time has come now for me to "let go" of 2010.  I wish to thank you for being there for me!  Thank you for all the laughter, for all the tears.  For all the joy and pain.  I'm sure there will be more to come in this brand new year!

I leave you with this piece of advice that was given me over 40 years ago.  Something my grandmother shared with me.  And now ... I share it with all of you.

"After all that has been said and done, love is all that matters.  When you remember the hardships, the pain and the hurt, remember that after all that has been said and done to you -- Love is all that matters!  When you remember the joy, the laughter and the wonderful friendships and relationships that have come and gone in your life, please daughter remember that in the end ... Love is all that matters!  No matter what comes or goes, please promise me that you will always remember ...  Love -- is all that matters!  Love is all that ever truly mattered!" ~ Virginia Lane Moore

From me and my family ... to you and yours ...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!


Photobucket

No comments: