Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Message from Michelle Langbehn: Cancer Survivor












Last week when the government re-opened, thousands of furloughed employees who were struggling to get by without a paycheck rejoiced. I celebrated for another reason -- because thousands of people like me with cancer will be able to resume treatment and clinical trials through the National Institutes of Health. 

I started a petition on Change.org when the government shut down shortly after I applied to enter a clinical trial for my cancer that was federally funded. Over 150,683 people signed -- including you -- giving a voice to people like me who were directly impacted by the shutdown. 

Thanks to you and everyone who signed, my story was highlighted by news outlets like Reuters, The Washington Post, MSNBC and the BBC. By lifting up the voices of those who were hit hardest by the government shutdown, you and I contributed to the national outrage that pressured our nation's leaders to reach a deal and reopen as quickly as possible.

When this began, I thought I would be lucky to gather a few hundred signatures. To watch my petition grow into the tens of thousands was truly humbling. Now that the government has reopened, my hope is that the cancer patients who were waiting to receive treatment from the NIH have not been compromised and are soon able to acquire the assistance they desperately need. 

I hope this episode will lead to more political cooperation and that politicians will begin to put the American people first. Thank you so much for helping my voice, and the voices of other cancer patients, be heard. 



Michelle Langbehn






No comments: